Signs can start to appear within 2 hours of ingestion and vomiting can be the first indication even before the tremors start to appear. Mycotoxins can cause profound muscle tremors which raise the body’s core temperature to dangerously high levels. Without veterinary intervention, pets can become sick and following consumption of mouldy food and in the worst cases it can be fatal. Signs that your dog may be suffering from mycotoxicosis include:
If you suspect your pet has consumed mouldy food and starts to vomit or otherwise look unwell, seek immediate veterinary help either from your own vet or from your closest emergency vet hospital if it is after hours. This condition can become life-threatening very quickly as the body temperature starts to rise with the uncontrolled muscle activity. Take any suspected substance with you in a bag to the vet as they may send it to the laboratory for confirmation of the diagnosis and to rule out other types of poisoning.